Flat (Pleated) Mask with Filter Pocket and Ties
No serging, no ironing!
1. Cut or tear 2 different fabrics 7"x8" rectangles, sew, right sides together, on the 7" side.
2. Cut or tear 2 strips 2"x40" (If your fabric is 45" wide, just use the whole width from selvedge edge to selvedge edge)
3. Fold over each short edge about 1/2" and ZIGZAG stitch
4. Fold in half, STRAIGHT STITCH the top edge about 1" from each side. Leave the center 4-5" open for filter pocket.
5. PLEAT. (You'll get the hang of it!) Hold the pleats with clip or pins.
6. Find the middle of one of your strips. Lay the side edge of your mask in the middle of the strip with the pleats →TOWARD YOU and sew about 1/4-3/8" from the edges.
7. Do the same for the other side, except place the strip *ON TOP* of the pleats, which are now facing AWAY→ from you.
8. With the strip UNDER the mask on the right side, start at the far end of the strip/tie. Fold the sides of strip to center, fold strip in half to the left, edge stitch.
9. When you get to the mask, continue folding in the same manner, binding the edge of the pleats. Continue folding and sewing to the end of the strip/tie.
10. Repeat for the other tie!